(UPDATE) 2 blasts hit Quiapo, Manila

0
29

Sharing is caring!

MANILA, May 6 — Two explosions occurred in Quiapo, Manila on Saturday night.

Two were dead and one was injured in the first explosion.

The first explosion happened minutes before 6 p.m. and the second one at passed 8 p.m.

National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) chief Director Oscar Albayalde said that two police personnel were injured in the second blast, one from the EOD (Explosives and Ordnance Division) and a SOCO (Scene of the Crime Operations) officer who were securing the earlier blast site. The duo sustained only minor injuries.

“There are no indications that this is a terror attack,” Albayalde said.

He said that the second blast happened around 8:38 p.m.

Read Also:  2 dead, 6 hurt in twin Quiapo blasts

Albayalde stressed that the Norzagaray and Elizondo Streets have been locked down to ensure safety.

He said that the kind of explosives used in the Quiapo blast was still being determined.

The second explosion happened after Albayalde made a statement.

Manila Police District (MPD) director Chief Supt. Joel Coronel confirmed that the first blast hit near Palanca and Globo de Oro Streets in Quiapo, Manila at 5:58 p.m.

Police were eyeing clan war motivated the twin- blast as the fatalities were the courier of the explosives himself, and the recipient of the explosives.

SPO3 Dennis Insierto of the MPD District Special Operations Unit (DSOU) was confident both incidents were not acts of terrorism but a clan war between “Sia” and “Sunni” groups of Muslims living in the area.

Read Also:  2 dead, 6 hurt in twin Quiapo blasts

He theorized that the incident was aimed at killing the president of “Sia” group of Muslim by the rival group of “Sunni” .

Unfortunately, he said, the explosive courier , who was a member of the Sunni group, himself died while handing in the explosive to a Sia group member, who also died on the spot.

So far, the Manila Police District (MPD) deployed more personnel at the site to check of possible explosives left in the area.

Authorities are now determining the identities of the fatalities and the other casualties.

Earlier on April 28, 2017, two persons were also killed when an explosive went off in the almost the same area.

Read Also:  2 dead, 6 hurt in twin Quiapo blasts

Albayalde said that the area of the new explosion was not far from the blast site on April 28, where two people were also killed and injuring dozen others.

The terrorist group ISIS (Islamic State of Iraq and Syria) had claimed responsibility for the April 28 blast, on the eve of the opening of the 30th Asean leaders summit in Manila.

However, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said that the ISIS was just “riding on” the earlier blast incident such that it was caused by a “gang war” of rival groups in the area. (Perfecto T. Raymundo/PNA)

Sharing is caring!