Trillanes claims Sara Duterte’s husband also linked to ‘Davao group’

0
17

Sharing is caring!

Senator Antonio Trillanes IV said Tuesday the husband of Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte is also linked to the so-called “Davao group” that is allegedly involved in large-scale smuggling at the Bureau of Customs.

Trillanes claimed on Tuesday to have a witness who could testify that lawyer Manases “Mans” Carpio, the Davao mayor’s husband, had visited the office of resigned Customs commissioner Nicanor Faeldon at least five times, and his brother-in-law, Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte, who had been linked to the Davao group earlier, twice.

At the resumption of the Senate investigation into how P6.4 billion worth of crystal meth, or “shabu,”from China slipped into the country past the BOC, Trillanes also got resigned Customs intelligence chief Neil Anthony Estrella to confirm having seen Carpio at least once.

Read Also:  For the First time, Militant Groups Have Set Foot In Malacañang!

When Trillanes asked Estrella, who resigned his post earlier this month, if the vice mayor and Carpio had ever visited the BOC, the former intelligence chief admitted seeing the lawyer but claimed he had never seen nor did he have any information if Paolo Duterte had ever visited the agency’s headquarters in Manila.

Estrella added that at the time he had seen Carpio, he “just came down from my office and chanced on him going out of office of the Commissioner,” stressing he was “not privy to why he was there.”

Trillanes said the frequency of Carpio’s visit to the BOC indicated the lawyer was using his influence at the agency since he had no business being there. This, he said, is why he requested copies of CCTV footage from the Bureau.

Read Also:  Duterte asks for 6 more months to fight crime, drugs

However, Trillanes declined to provide details about his witness who he said he would present at the right time. He added he wanted to question Davao City Councilor Noli “Small” Abellera, also linked to the Davao group, who is expected to attend the next hearing of the probe after failing to show up Tuesday.

The senator claimed the information he received named Carpio and the Davao vice mayor as the main personalities behind the Davao group, which he said is responsible for facilitating the release of undervalued shipments, including possible contraband, in exchange for a “no look fee” that guarantees cargo is processed through the BOC’s “express lane.”

He also claimed the brothers-in-law were recipients of “tara,” or bribes.

Read Also:  De Lima fires back at Duterte for 'abuse, misuse' of power

Aside from Abellera, who said he is recovering from a medical condition, several other resource persons, including Faeldon and his chief of staff Mandy Anderson, were absent at Tuesday’s hearing.

Also absent were Allen Capuyan, who broker Mark Taguba claimed was among those who facilitated the release of shipments from the BOC, and Christopher Bolastig, named by Senator Panfilo Lacson as one of the alleged “bagmen” at Faeldon’s office.

Abellera and Bolastig both submitted affidavits denying the allegations against them.

The Davao councilor, in a letter to the Senate, asked to appear at the August 31 hearing because he is recovering from “hypertensive urgency uncontrolled” and has been advised by his doctors to rest for two to four weeks.

Sharing is caring!