Duterte mulls withdrawal from ICC,wants to be first in line if Russia, China establish ‘€˜new order’

0
39

Sharing is caring!

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday said he is thinking of withdrawing from the International Criminal Court, following the footsteps of Russia.

And indicating once more a desire to distance the Philippines from the influence of the United States, he said should China and Russia establish a “new order,” he would be first in line to sign up.

Duterte made the comments before leaving for Peru to attend the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit.

Russia formally withdrew its signature to the ICC’s founding Rome Statute on Wednesday, calling the tribunal’s work “one-sided and inefficient”.

Speaking in Davao City shortly before flying to Peru for a regional summit, Duterte said: “They (Russians) may have thought the International Criminal Court is (useless), so they withdrew their membership.”

Read Also:  Robredo go over for President Rodrigo Duterte’s war towards drugs and criminal

“I might follow. Why? Because these shameless bullies only picked on small countries like us.”

The Philippines is among 124 countries that are members of the UN-backed ICC, the world’s only permanent war crimes court.

Duterte also repeated an earlier threat to pull the Philippines out of the UN, saying the world body had failed to stop wars that had killed “thousands” of women and children.

“You know if China and Russia would decide to create a new order, I will be the first to join,” he added.

Duterte won May elections in a landslide after vowing an unprecedented crackdown on illegal drugs and killing tens of thousands of drug dealers.

More than 4,000 people have been killed since he took office on June 30. About 1,800 were shot dead by police and about 2,600 others were murdered by unidentified attackers, according to official statistics.

Read Also:  Duterte Administration's Accomplishments for the first 7 days

The killings have drawn criticism from Manila’s key defence ally the United States as well as the UN.

Duterte has struck back by calling US President Barack Obama a “son of a whore” and UN chief Ban Ki-moon a “fool”.

Last month the ICC’s chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said she was “deeply concerned” about thousands of alleged extrajudicial killings in the Philippines, warning that those responsible could face prosecution.

Duterte has challenged Ban and international human rights experts to visit the country and investigate the allegations, while insisting his government has done nothing illegal.

On Thursday, ahead of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Lima, Duterte warned his international counterparts, including Obama, not to lecture him on human rights.

Read Also:  8888 : Duterte's Hotline for Public Complaints

“They will really get it from me, and I will lecture them on the finer points of civilization,” he said.

“You threaten us as if we are your laborers and threaten to have me jailed. Me, go to jail? You children of whores I will take you all down with me.”

Duterte recalled his confrontation with Obama and Ban at the Association of Southeast Asian Nations summit in Laos in September, during which the US leader cancelled a bilateral meeting with him.

“They refused to listen so I said, ‘You sons of whores, screw you!'”

 

Sharing is caring!