Before the end of the first half of this year, this resort island already received over one million tourists, according to the local tourism office.
Felix delos Santos said on Tuesday that the island was able to reach its one million mark last June 10, earlier compared to last year.
In 2016, only 982,710 tourist arrivals were recorded from January until the end of June, he added.
The tourism officer said tourist arrivals continue to increase. “With the increasing trend, we expect that we will reach the two million tourist target for this year,” he said.
As of June 22, the Malay Municipal Tourism Office recorded a total of 1,063,569 tourists.
Of which 476,948 are foreign tourists, 560,915 domestic and 25,796 overseas Filipinos.
Despite threats of terrorism in other parts of the country, Delos Santos said that Boracay remained to be a safe destination for tourists.
He said tight security was also being implemented in all points of entry to Boracay. (Karen V. Bermejo/PNA)